Personal & Academic Guidance
The Yeshivah of Flatbush Joel Braverman High School addresses the needs of students with an active commitment to enriching the high school experience. The Yeshivah is unique in its continual emphasis on addressing the academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs of each and every one of our students. The Guidance Department, which is central to the Yeshivah, maintains an open door policy and aims to serve students, parents, and faculty. All are invited to stop in to seek advice, share information or concerns, ask a question, get support, or share good news. The department works as a team, together with teachers, principals, and grade advisors, to provide guidance and support for students and families.
We invite you to take a moment to learn about our various programs, including but not limited to:
- Individualized Guidance: As freshmen, students meet with a member of Guidance for a “freshman interview,” which often marks the beginning of a supportive relationship aimed at helping students navigate academic challenges, social pressures, and family concerns.
- Peer Tutoring: Peer tutoring enables students to help each other succeed academically.
- The Choices Commission: The Choices Commission is comprised of a group of junior and seniors who join together with the aim of educating their peers about healthy decision making.
- The Parents’ Choices Commission: The Parents Choices Commission is comprised of a group of active parents who meet regularly in order to discuss pertinent issues affecting our students, plan parent programs, and foster communication between parents and teens.
- Girls’ Discussion Groups: A grant-sponsored program through the Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services provides us with girls’ discussion groups led by a JBFCS social worker.
- SAFE Classes and Programs: All students participate in weekly SAFE/Health Education class to help build strong life skills surrounding issues including body image, bullying and cyberbullying, experimentation with substances and gambling, and relationships. The Guidance Department also collaborates with Project SAFE in order to bring in speakers to address particularly pertinent topics with students.
- Test Accommodations: The Guidance Department oversees the application for and provision of test accommodations.